Counterfeit printed copies of The Art of Electronics have made their appearance, starting in December 2015. We have bought counterfeits from at least a half-dozen Amazon “Other Sellers.”** These may be represented as “new,” or as “like new” (or sometimes “used”), but in all cases so far they are inferior products, with poor bindings, misaligned pages, faded halftones (photographs), and other defects. Although “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery,” this is going a bit too far — our readers deserve a quality product, not the junk that these criminals are selling. Our readers report good success in getting full refunds; and if a refund is refused, you can use Amazon’s A-to-Z Guarantee.
One or more of these indicates a probable counterfeit (see also the samples following):
1. there are blank white pages after the last index page (the geniune book has none)
2. Winfield is spelled “Wineld” on the title page
3. the cover on the spine is wrinkled
4. printing is misaligned with page edge
5. pages are stuck together at edges
6. pages unreadable into the gutter (inner edges)
7. the black end-pages (and nearby white pages) are wrinkled or smudged with glue
8. the photographs are faded or misaligned
9. sold as “new” or “like new,” but priced too low to be believable
** In every case copies purchased as “Ships from and sold by Amazon.com” are geniune copies; it’s some of the marketplace sellers who are selling fakes (and some of these include “Fulfillment by Amazon” with Prime shipping — that’s no guarantee of authenticity). A current list of our “test purchases” is here.
Dave Jones (EEVBlog) has some fun with this here.
Here are some examples
EEVblog.com strikes again, check it out!:Read More
The 3rd edition of The Art of Electronics is now available for pre-order from Cambridge Press and other booksellers.
Click here to download The Art of Electronics 3rd edition table of contents
2nd Edition eBook
A kindle version of the 2nd edition is now available from Amazon.
3rd Edition companion: Learning the Art of Electronics
An updated and expanded version of the 2nd edition Student Manual for the Art of Electronics is in preparation.
* * * * *